Monday, April 13, 2009

Leaving Sydney

It's 9am. I am about to finish my packing before my family and I set off to international airport for our flight to Canada. This has been a trip I have been looking forward too. I remember when we booked the flight it seemed so long ago and now it is just a few hours away. It's funny, when I go on trips I always feel like finding ways to document the trip. So I have decided to pick up blogging.



We arrive at international airport and it looks allot different from the last time I was there. Not much food outlets though, which is disappointing. I ate this cold tandoori chicken wrap as a late lunch. Cost $7.50. Was it really worth it? Nuh uh. I don't think so.

It is now about say nearly 12pm and heading towards customs. Man we have plenty of time to kill before our flight, but as we head into customs we get a shock at how long the queue is. I mean I understand it is the Easter long weekend and we are entitled to our holidays. But only 3 counters open with about say over 40 people are looking very flustered wanting to pass through customs asap. It took us about half an hour. It's no wonder people say Sydney airport is bad. I mean the queuing time is ridiculous. (Pardon my English and spelling mistakes, but I am typing in a mad rush at the moment).

We past through customs. Next stop is security. Times have sure changed since 9/11. I didn't realise that you weren't allowed to take a bottle of water and any forms of liquids has to be taken out of the bag before going through the x-ray. Crazy hey. It wouldn't surprise me if one day we will have to empty out our bags before going through x-ray. We had two bottles of water, and when it came to security, there were two choices. Drink the water to keep the bottle or dump it in front of them. At the time of the checking, I really didn't fill like sculling down 600ml of water. I dumped my bottle and Mum didn't want to throw out her little bottle and drank the whole lot.

After that interesting experience the next stop was duty free. It's like a shopper’s heaven especially the alcohol. Geez, cheap as chips I'll say. I think we were so surprised by the price we plan to make a trip there on our return. I bought these bean pillows for the flight. I have seen so many of these pillows at the Easter show. And they were selling them for 2 for $20. Bargain!

It's now time for us to board our flight. My brother and I checked in ok. But my mum and dad had a seat change. They were upgraded to business class. So we made a swap with them. I know that probably sounded selfish, but we offered them to stay in business class. But they decided to let me and my brother experience it for the first time. It was definitely nice sitting on business class for the first leg of the trip. 8 hrs of delicious food, drinks, luxury and movies. After experience business class I don't think I was prepared for economy for the 2nd half of the trip.
















Lucky there was heaps of in-flight films to watch. I watched this film called Sweeney Todd. I thought it was supposed to be a musical an interesting film. It was quite gruesome. Made me feel a little bit ill after watching it. There were so many films to watch!!



We touch done in HK airport at around 9.30pm (Friday), which is about Sydney time 10.30pm Friday evening.



After walking around time flies and it is about 11pm. Time to have some dinner. There is not much open around the airport. Everything is about to shut. We were just lucky enough to be able to grab some dinner at this takeaway before they closed too.





It wasn't long till all the shops were shut and the place became as quiet as a mouse. The only people about were the cleaners, security and passengers waiting for their flight. We had about two hours to kill. We walked around the airport, used the internet and took random photos to amuse ourselves. We definitely were acting like true tourists here. The photos will come at a later stage. They are all the camera and I left my cable at home.

We board our flight at 2am. I can tell you now, 14 hrs on a plane is a long time and it really baffled me how I managed to keep myself occupied. It was a good thing it was an early morning flight, which meant that sleep and movies would be my best friends to help me get through the flight.

I think Cathy Pacific has a good selection of films, movies, games and even tv programs. I watched a fair few films, but I kept in mind to save some for the trip going home. There were so many crying babies on this flight though, but lucky they fell asleep at the right times.

It was a very long flight and I knew with all the time differences and lack of sleep will hit me in my early days of the week.

1 comment:

monkeycrab said...

welcome back to the blogging world! it sure is a good way to document ur travels. i love the movie sweeney todd but i mostly covered my eyes whenever the bloody parts came up.